You’re a new parent, and you need a list of items for your newborn. On top of that list should be the car seat, unless you’re planning to spend all your time at home or rent a car that comes with a car seat. It’s hard to choose one when there are many options, but you’re looking for the safest one for your little one, and we’re here to help.
Types of Car Seats
There are different types of car seats for you to choose from.
- Infant Car Seat: The infant car seat is made to protect your child from day one. They’re rear-facing and designed with a base placed in the car, while the seat is placed and removed when needed.
- Convertible Car Seats: The convertible car seat is useful as it can be used for rear-facing and forward-facing positions. Yet, you can’t use the forward-facing position until your child has reached the right weight and height (depending on what the manual says). The downside of convertible car seats is, they’re not easy to get your child out of the car.
- Booser Car Seats: The booster seat is not for newborns, but it can be used for children who outgrow their car seats. It’s important to keep them safe with the seat belt on.
- Combination Car Seat: Changing the car seat from an infant to a combination car seat depends on the height and weight of your child. Make sure to read the car seat manual before you do so. The combination car seat is used as a forward-facing car seat with a 5-point harness that can be changed to a booster seat.
- 3 in 1 Car Seat: It’s not only a rear-facing car seat, but it’s also a forward-facing and a booster seat, so you can change it as your baby grows older.
It depends on what you’re looking for.
Factors to Consider When Buying a Car Seat
It’s not about buying the most expensive car seat, it’s about knowing what you’re looking for. Hence, these are the factors you should consider when buying a car seat for your little one:
- Fits in your car: Depending on your car, you might want to consider buying a car seat that fits in there.
- Size: Take into consideration the height and weight of your child before choosing the car seat.
- Comfort: Padding and material breathability are what to look for when buying a car seat. These are the two features that will keep your child comfortable while in the car.
- Fabric: You want a good quality fabric that’s durable and easily washed.
- Installation: How easy is it to install in your car? Ask that question before purchasing one.
- Stroller Compatibility: Is it compatible with your stroller? That’s one feature that will simplify your life as you can place it on the stroller as soon as you’re out of the car.
- Safety: Is it labelled as safe? Car seats are usually tested for safety before they’re sold in stores.
The Best Car Seats
Best Infant Car Seat
Cybex Aton X
If you’re looking for the best infant car seat, the Cybex Aton X is it. You can tick off safe, lightweight, compatibility with strollers, and washable padding off the list of factors to consider.
The downside of the Cybex Aton X is it’s only a rear-facing seat, and the compatible strollers are expensive.
If you’re on a budget, the Chicco KeyFit is what you’re looking for. You’ll get a lightweight car seat with easily removable and washable padding for an affordable price. You’ll have to use cold water to wash it, and it shouldn’t be placed in the dryer. In addition, the Chicco KeyFit is safe and is compatible with up to 8 strollers.
The disadvantage of the Chicco KeyFit is babies outgrow it quickly, so you’ll need to find a new car seat sooner than expected. Secondly, the car seat instruction manual is unclear, and it’s not the easiest car seat to use.
Best Stroller Compatibility
Doona Instant Car Seat and Stroller
Yes, other car seats work on a couple of strollers, but why don’t you buy one that transforms into a stroller with a click of a button. This one of a kind car seat will pull the wheels back up and change back to a car seat quickly when needed. What more could you ask for?
The problem with this car seat/stroller is, you can no longer use it when your baby outgrows the car seat. Plus, there’s no storage basket to place any bags.
Best 4-in-1 Car Seat
Evenflo Gold SensorSafe EveryStage
It’s not only a 3 in 1 car seat, but there’s one more feature that you’ll benefit from. The Evenflo Gold SensorSafe EveryStage has it all, a rear-facing that changes to a forward-facing seat and then to a booster seat.
So you’ll save yourself the time of finding a new car seat as your baby grows older. With washable padding and two cup holders, there’s nothing more you could ask for.
All in all, the car seat is a must if you have a newborn child. Every parent looks for the best items for their child, and these are our recommendations.